Monday, February 11, 2008

Homemade

One of my new year's resolutions was to sew more for my home. I was starting to feel like everything I sewed was for kokoleo, and my home and family weren't seeing enough stitchy love. Here are a few things I've made recently in an effort to remedy this:

No, I didn't learn how to knit. I simply sewed little velvet butterflies and glass beads on this hat that Erik's boss made and sold at a charity fundraiser. We get a ton of compliments on it now. One lady told me it looked "expensive."

For McKenna's high chair:

It used to be Sage's. I made him his own cushions back then, but they're long gone. I'm happy with the way the back part came out, but the seat cushion is about an inch too small. This is one of those things that no one else would notice but it bothers me every time I look at it. I'll probably make a new one soon. I'm a bit of a perfectionist like that.

Remember that bench I blogged about a few weeks ago? I made a pillow for it.


I've been holding on to this awesome vintage fabric for almost 5 years now, refusing to cut into it until I found the perfect project. Now I get to look at it, lean on it, and love it every day. I've been forcing myself to cut into a lot of my prized fabrics lately. They're not bringing anyone any joy just sitting all folded and hidden on my fabric shelf - they need to go back out into the world and be appreciated by others. More awesome fabric will surely take their place soon enough.

Even one of our furry family members got a little homemade gift:

I made Bella a bed of her own. It's kinda sad that we had Leo for 11 years and he never got a posh bed like this. I just wanted to make her feel happy in her new home.

I've also mended a few toughly-loved stuffed animals, sewn a couple buttons, and tucked and hemmed a few of my own clothes. I'm making some art too, which is why I haven't been blogging so much lately. There simply isn't enough time in the day to do it all, and, I'm learning, I don't have to. Sometimes it's best to just tend to one's nest.

3 comments:

lisa {milkshake} said...

You've been busy! I like the new pillow - I know what you mean about holding on to things. I do the same thing!

Anonymous said...

hi kb, everything looks great ! that is one gorgeous baby you made too...you won't believe this, but it seems that my sister has made it onto a reality show that i won't name here, will have to be in LA for 2 months, and very likely i will have to come out there at some point. will let you know when i find out more, but visiting with you and thrifting together is something i am looking forward to...annette

KB said...

WooHoo! I can't wait to hear more about this reality show. Watch out SoCal thrift stores - here we come!I just found another one today and score a bunch of awesome fabric.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...